Moongirlpaula (I'm a Na'vi native)

Moongirlpaula (I'm a Na'vi native)
I'm a bit different from other people

Friday, September 10, 2010

noboobsaboutit website cites figures - My reply - I am not doing well!

I recently sent a personal invitation to a lady from the "NO BOOBS ABOUT IT" website (a site for women suffering from breast cancer) to become a member of my website "Shades of Grey" (which is open to all people suffering from all types of cancer and chronic illness). The lady advised that her site could not be aligned with mine because her site was for breast cancer only.

In the first part I was not asking for any alignment between the two sites, I was merely extending a personal invitation to the lady herself to join my site as a member, however, I accepted this as a reasonable reply to my invitation.

On the other hand, she then also cited percentages of the frequency of breast cancer opposed to other cancers as the reason for not becoming a member of my site. To this point I take issue. I constantly see the flood of empathy for women suffering from breast cancer with other cancer sufferers receiving much less empathy. I do have empathy for women suffering from breast cancer and I do have empathy for other people suffering from the many other types of cancers. I do not distinguish between cancer sufferers. I do not cite percentages of frequency, citing one cancer to be of more peril or of more importance than another.

The lady also commented that she was happy to hear I was doing well. For the record dear lady, I am not doing well. I suffer from extreme excruciating pain associated with radiation damage to my abdomen, bowel and rectum. The teeth in my mouth are rotting because of dry mouth syndrome caused by radiation treatment. I cannot walk because the broken bones in my feet will not heal due to deficiencies caused by the radiation treatment. I take high dosage pain medicine daily to enable me to go to work every day because that is the only way I can pay for my expensive medicines. I suffer from severe depression with the knowledge that cancer cells may appear elsewhere in my body any day. My regular tests and checkups at the Cancer Clinic are constant reminders that I am still a high risk of dying from cancer. I fight off thoughts of suicide daily because the pain gets so bad I don't think I can bear it any longer. As I said, I am not doing well, but every day I get out of my bed and I do the absolute best that I can in the circumstances, because my loved ones depend on me, and because I know that I can help other sufferers in the world. I created my website "Shades of Grey" http:/paulakerr.webs.com/ to help as many people as I can who have been diagnosed with cancer, who suffer extreme pain daily, who fight depression and who fight thoughts of suicide. So, for the record dear lady from the website "NOBOOBSABOUTIT", the incidence of breast cancer as quoted by you, may be more frequent than endometrial cancer, but the far reaching after effects for endometrial cancer and the consequent damage by radiation treatment to internal organs are no less than that of a person suffering from breast cancer. I have many friends who have and who are still suffering from breast cancer and yes I do empathise with them, BUT, I would never cite percentages or trivialise another person's fight with cancer.

I hope your site continues to help those suffering from breast cancer. I just hope that people such as yourself become more aware of the plights of other cancer sufferers in this world whose suffering is no less prolific or less important than that of breast cancer sufferers.

Yes, NOBOOBSABOUTIT website, I was upset by your words in your recent email to me, but I feel much better now that I have been able to share these insights with you. This is Moongirl signing off.

4 comments:

  1. Your testimony is also very intense! I do not know what to say, only offer my respect to your courage in everyday life as well as for people who suffer from the same disease, My mother had the disease twice, I know it is easy to say, but I think a battle is not over until what is not lost! ... It makes some days I was thinking was creating a article with a link to your blog, it brings you more readers. Authorize me has you to make it ? and you accept that I take a photo to illustrate this article? ... If you do not want to, I apologize for this request ...
    (sorry for my bad translation)
    Bye !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mahon, I am sorry to hear your mother has suffered with this awful disease. I will not give up on life, even though at times it is very hard to keep going, but I will hold onto this very precious gift of life and be grateful. Yes, you have my permission to link to my blog. You may also link to my website "Paula's Website - Shades of Grey" if you want, address is http//paulakerr.webs.com/
    Kind blessings to you Mahon xxx Moongirl

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for your permission, I will approach this when I can because I have less time with my job, my updates of my blog has become rarer
    :(
    I view your second page "shades of grey" that I found very good! your photos are very beautiful congratulations! I'm wondering, on your page "shades of grey" is a photo of a young woman with a pair of glasses, is that you? if this is the case, I will wish to capture this one to illustrate the article about you ...
    Bye !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mahon, yes the photo is of me wearing glasses on the front page of my website. The photo was taken last year and is used in the introduction to my book. Good cheer to you my friend. xxx Moongirl

    ReplyDelete